Lion Images for kids
Lion Activities for kids
Lion Facts & Trivia for kids
- The lion can swim skillfully and carry twice his weight.
- Young lions stay with their mother until they are two.
- Lions can climb trees and are amazingly agile.
- The lioness is fiercer and is a better hunter than the male lion.
- Lions live for about 15 years in the wild, and up to twice as long in captivity.
- Lions are not wanton killers; they slay only to survive.
- An adult lion's roar can be heard from over 5 miles away.
- A group of lions is called a pride.
- Lions spend most of their day sleeping.
- The color of the Lion helps it blend in with the land around it.
- Lions live in mostly in Africa but there are still some in India.
- A Lion's mane gets darker as the lion gets older.
- Unlike other big cats, Lions hunt in groups.
- A male Lion's body is 5 to 8 feet long and the tail is about 2 to 3 feet long.
- There are some male Lions that have been found without manes.
- All lions have short sandy brown fur.
- Lions are the only large cat that live in groups.
- Most Lion prides have about 12 lions but some may have up to 40.
- The female lion does the hunting. Female lions hunt in groups.
- Lions will hunt animals larger then them, such as giraffes, hippos, buffalo and even elephants if other food becomes scarce.
- Lions are nocturnal.
- The lion is the top of the food chain. No other animals hunt adult lions.
- Lions can see five times better than people can.
- A typical meal for a lion would be about 15 pounds of meat, although they can eat as much as 60 pounds at one meal.
- Lions have many different prey such as zebra, giraffe, warthog, impala, wildebeest and topi.
Lion Links for kids